Thursday, May 21, 2009

Aspartame reply to Joel with bodytransformationinsider.com

I subscribe to Joel with www.bodytransformationinsider.com because he has posted some good workout ideas and other helpful information. However, after hearing his view point stating aspartame being safe, I had to disagree. So this is my reply to his post.

Originally I was not going to comment. As a mother of a 6 year old, and I also work a full time job. I understand how busy life can be and I figured most people didn’t have the time to research the subject for themselves. Luckily, I save almost every article I really enjoy along with their web pages. So I decided to do my best to present some of the research I have found.

Growing up I never used diet products. Then I had my son and I gained over 65 pounds. I was desperate and wanted to lose the weight. I heard of diet products and figured less calories had to be better right? So I started drinking diet sodas and diet foods. At first I didn't realize much, I had slight head aches but I didn't associate that with the Splenda. Then the headaches turned to migraines. I never had migraines growing up. That was a new experience for me and let me tell you those migraines really hurt. After speaking with a friend who is a doctor he asked if there was anything new I had been doing and I at first thought, no. But as he went on he told me it could be after prolonged use of something and I thought about how I recently (just under a year) started with the diet drinks. I mentioned it and he told me the same thing Jane (post a couple above this) said. He told me the negative effects had been known since the year after its’ release on the market. He told me to use my common sense and stop ingesting those products to see what would happen.

I stopped taking diet drinks and foods and the headaches subsided. I guess it could be coincidence but after more research online I heard a lot of interesting things that doctors, human rights activists and regular people like you and me were saying. I was surprised at was the amount of people (especially the doctors) who are concerned because of this substance.

I was curious as to what exactly aspartame was made of and found interesting information. I do hope that the following information provides more avenues for your research on the subject.

I attempted writing before, but due to copy right laws I could not copy information from other sites. However I am allowed to paste the link of where interesting content is found and can give a summary of some of the things you will find inside those links. I will do my best to pass along information while not plagiarizing the web pages and inserting the links that go with the corresponding web site so you can check out the pages for yourself.

The first site I would like to share explains how sucralose is made. Sucralose is comes from sucrose. But did you know the process to change sucrose to sucralose involves chemically changing the structure of the sugar molecules through a process where the sugar is chlorinated? What they do is take 3 hydroxyl atoms from the sugar and substitute them with 3 chlorine atoms.

This web site talks about many other issues such as the origin of sucralose and how Tate & Lyle arranged with Johnson & Johnson in 1980 to develop sucralose. Then Johnson & Johnson formed McNeil Speciality Products Company in 1980 to commercialize sucralose. Sucralose is not yet approved for use in most European countries, where it is still under review.

Here is the web site where this and more information can be found.
http://www.karlloren.com/Diabetes/p40e.htm

This web site lists its resources so I would like to add them here:

Sources:
Food and Drug Administration "Final Rule " for Sucralose, 21 CFR Part 172, Docket No. 87F-0086.
Lord GH, Newberne PM. Renal mineralization--a ubiquitous lesion in chronic rat studies. Food Chem Toxicol 1990 Jun;28:449-55.
Labare MP, Alexander M. Microbial cometabolism of sucralose, a chlorinated disaccharide, in environmental samples. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 1994 Oct;42:173-8.
Hunter BT. Sucralose. Consumers' Research Magazine, Oct90, Vol. 73 Issue 10, p8, 2p.
Maudlin RK. FDA approves sucralose for expanded use. Modern Medicine, Oct99, Vol. 67 Issue 10, p57, 1/9p
Sucralose--a new artificial sweetener. Medical Letter on Drugs & Therapeutics, 07/03/98, Vol. 40, Issue 1030, p67, 2p.
Q&A: Is newly FDA approved sweetener sucralose good for you? Executive Health's Good Health Report, Nov98, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p6, 1p, 1c.
Gain B. FDA approves J&J Sweetener. Chemical Week, 04/15/98, Vol. 160 Issue 14, p27, 1/4p.
Sucralose Toxicity Information Center
Splenda Product Web Site
Official Tate & Lyle Sucralose Web Site
Endurance News, Issue 26.
____________________________________________

The next bit of info address aspartame. This information is from the National Institute of Science, Law, and Public Policy.

There is a LOT of interesting information on this site. Did you know there were other studies that were not just performed on mice, but on child size monkeys? 7 monkeys were fed milk with aspartame; one died and 5 had 'grand mal' seizures.

This site also goes into detail about how people who saw the negative effects of aspartame started taking this issue publicly as early as the late 1960's.

Dr. Olney in 60's publicly announced that aspartame caused a loss of neurons, and was responsible for stunted and retarded growth of the pituitary glands, testes and ovaries in the animals. Dr. Olney is a conservative scientist, and yet he is adamant and says, "there is no margin of safety for aspartame in a child's diet."

Olney was worried because aspartame had very similar properties to glutamate (an ingredient of monosodium glutamate) and in his groundbreaking research with glutamate he had shown that it caused brain lesions in baby rats.

Turner and Olney decided to fight aspartame's approval. Representing a Washington, D.C. public interest group, The Consumer Nutrition Institute (CNI), Turner and Olney filed formal objections with the FDA They challenged the validity of some of the key aspartame safety tests which Searle submitted to the FDA, They presented animal studies by Olney and others that showed evidence that aspartame causes brain damage, brain tumors, seizures and changes in brain chemistry. Turner and Olney were especially concerned about the new sweetener's potential effects on pregnant women and young children.

In April 1975, the FDA set up a hearing, a Public Board of Inquiry (PBOI), to review the objections to aspartame. While preparing for the PBOI. Dr. Olney examined the FDA files which contained Searle's "Safety Data Studies." What Olney discovered buried in those files would obsess him for years to come He was shocked when he found results of aspartame feeding experiments conducted by Searle which showed an unusually high incidence;' of brain tumors in rats that ingested the sweetener and no rumors in the control rats.

They suggest for further information to read Mullarkey’s book, Bittersweet Aspartame, A Diet Delusion.

They offer a lot more information on their web site including some side effects of aspartame.

Their address and web pages you can find this information are as followed:

National Institute of Science, Law, and Public Policy.
1400 16th Street, NW, Suite 101, Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 462-8800 Fax: (202) 265-6564
tamara@swankin-turner.com

http://swankin-turner.com/
http://swankin-turner.com/nislapp.html
http://www.swankin-turner.com/aspartame.html


There is a little bit more information I would like to share.

Aspartame was not approved until 1981, in dry foods. For over eight years, the FDA refused to approve it because of the seizures and brain tumors this drug produced in lab animals. The FDA continued to refuse to approve it until President Reagan took office (a friend of Searle) and fired the FDA Commissioner who wouldn’t approve it. Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes was appointed as commissioner. Even then, there was so much opposition to approval, that a Board of Inquiry was set up. The Board said: “Do not approve aspartame.” Dr. Hayes OVERRULED his own Board of Inquiry.

In February of 1994, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released the listing of adverse reactions reported to the FDA (DHHS 1994). Aspartame accounted for more than 75% of all adverse reactions reported to the FDA’s Adverse Reaction Monitoring System (ARMS).

The following information can be found inside http://dorway.com/

They encourage anyone who has experience adverse affects of aspartame, to fill an aspartame reaction form and fax it. The office addresses for this company is as follows:

Commissioner
Food and Drug Administration
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, Maryland 20857

Mrs. Betty Martini
Mission Possible International
9270 River Club Parkway
Duluth, Georgia 30097
Internet E-mail:

If you are further interested and would like more places to research check out these links:
http://www.dorway.com/badnews.html
• http://www.dorway.com Front door to everything!
• http://www.dorway.com/possible.html Mission Possible Files
• http://www.dorway.com/asprlink.html Links to more sites/source information
• http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame More in-depth Information
• http://www.trufax.org/menu/chem.html More good articles

Links for books:
http://www.dorway.com/books.html
• http://www.dorway.com/amazon.html DORway Amazon Bookshelf

I sincerely hope this gives the reader a greater understanding of the ramifications of sugar free products.

I also hope the reader finds that there are many more books and websites that they can research for themselves to see the bigger picture.

Best wishes to everyone,
Sincerely,
Liz Blackstone

No comments:

Post a Comment